Sunday, May 27, 2012

Walking with Howard…

As you may have surmised from previous posts, I love to walk; have for many years. However, since my retirement in May 2010, and with the encouragement of my primary care physician, walking has become a major focus and passion for me – perhaps even a healthy obsession (hey, you could be obsessed with worse things!!).

 I walk a lot – typically, 20-30 miles per week – and when training rigorously for a long-distance, charity event like Project Bread’s 20-mile Walk for Hunger or Dana-Farber Cancer Institute’s Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk, I may discover I’ve done a lot more (e.g., I just tallied my workouts for April and was surprised that I had walked 120+ miles – way, way more than necessary to prepare for an event like May 6th’s Walk for Hunger, but I just love it and the miles just seem to accumulate). I also have a strong desire to ‘pass on’ the physical and emotional benefits I experience thru walking and thus: “Walking with Howard…”, a walking clinic/club whose goals are:  

  • to assist those who are interested in ‘walking’ for its cardiovascular/aerobic benefit, in getting started
  • to help those who have already begun a walking program, in raising it up a notch
  • to serve as a resource and sounding board about appropriate training, technique, stretching exercises, footwear, apparel, accountability, etc.
  • for those interested in any or all of the prior goals, to create a “community” that meets, periodically, to walk and have fun
‘Though both knowledgeable and experienced “walking the walk”, I was novice as a coach when it was launched in the fall of 2011. Initially (and at least for the indefinite present), “Walking with Howard…” is at ‘no charge’ so those interested can get the benefit of my expertise; in return, I get the opportunity to “pay it forward” and to hone my skills as a coach and trainer.

It has been the practice for our group to “meet-up” mostly on a weekly basis (currently, Saturday afternoons at the “Uncle Sam” statue in Arlington Center near where the Minuteman Bike Trail resumes, heading West). I’m also available for 1-on-1 sessions, schedules permitting.
But what if you don’t live in the Boston area or can’t make the meet-ups? Not a problem: a lot of what I have to offer can be communicated online; the rest is implementation and practice. Hey, I’m self-taught and this isn’t ‘rocket science’.

If you are interested (or merely curious) in “Walking with Howard…”  I’d love to hear from you – all levels or no experience – are welcome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment